Friday, August 6, 2010

My Flower Frenzy

I got this flower headband at Anthropologie over a year ago.

It was kind of pricey for a headband, so I decided to make my own. I first cut a long strip of fabric about 2'' wide. (the length depends on how full you want your flower to be. You can always cut excess off if you don't need it).
Then I sewed a line with my longest stitch right down the center.Next, I gathered the fabric by pulling on one of the threads.Then I folded the strip in half, lengthwise, and sewed the folded edge to a circular piece of felt. (I use a small drinking glass to trace the circle.) I keep sewing until I go around the circle several times, getting closer to the center with each pass.I hand sewed the center to finish the flower and then stitch it to a headband or safety pin. And I end up with something that looks a little like this.

These are really easy to make and kind of addictive. This is my current flower garden, but I end up giving most of my flowers away as gifts.

If I don't feel like getting out my machine, I just fold and gather the fabric with my hands until it resembles a flower and hand sew up and down the center several times. Super easy.









4 comments:

  1. Okay Chelsea, I think you need to come spend a day with me sewing! Super cute. I've had lots of projects, ideas in my head, but no time to sew them and they're trial and error since they are in my head so I'm always nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mindy. Since a lot of my projects are trial and error they don't always come out like I plan, but thats also the challenge/fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, dontcha just LOV fabric flowers? I just can't get enough of em. Try rolling and hot glueing strips of fabric too... it goes SUPER quick and stays put nicely too. Just watch for burned fingers :)

    ReplyDelete